Sports and Remedial Massage
What is Sports and Remedial Massage
This therapy is not only for sporting professionals, amateurs or enthusiasts, it is for anyone who leads and active life. Originally this form of massage developed out of professional athletes’ desire to improve performance. It has grown into a therapy that now covers maintaining a person’s performance, and supporting the body’s natural ability to heal after injury, trauma or competition.
How Does Sports and Remedial Massage Work?
The Therapist will work with the client, targeting specific muscle groups that may be the source of pain, tightness, tension and over use. Standard massage strokes are used to initially warm the muscles and soft tissues, then a variety of techniques are integrated specifically used in body work including; Connective Tissue Massage, Myofascial Release, Deep Tissue Massage, Soft Tissue Release, Neuromuscular Techniques and stretches such as Muscle Energy Techniques.
Benefits – Sports and Remedial Massage may assist with:
- Many musculoskeletal conditions affecting muscles, tendons and ligaments, such as strain, sprain and overuse injuries, caused by a variety of reasons.
- Long term conditions such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, joint pain such as lower back, neck, shoulders and limbs.
- Improvement of range of joint movement.
- Breaking down fibrous soft tissue.
- Delayed onset of muscle soreness (DOMS) after exercise.
- Preparation for a person prior/during and after training or competition.
- Maintenance of a healthy soft tissues and the muscular system.
- Psychological preparation for an event or support during recovery